This position operates one or more types of construction equipment; such as asphalt pavers, asphalt rollers, material transfer vehicles, milling machines, backhoes and skid steers as they apply to milling and paving operations. Operators are responsible for safe operation, non-mechanical maintenance and upkeep of equipment.
- Discusses plans and goals for the day’s work with field manager and determines best method of getting assigned work done safely, productively and on time.
- Performs physical duties that are commonly associated with the safe and productive operation of said piece of equipment.
- Performs equipment maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing and maintaining fluid levels on equipment.
- Operates equipment with priority of making the job safe for all persons working around the equipment.
- Communicates clearly with other crew members in a manner commensurate with teamwork in order to accomplish daily goals.
- GED / HS Diploma a plus.
- 2 yrs of equipment operating experience is a necessity.
- Related work experience is a necessity.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Make judgments regarding the most efficient operations of equipment and attachments.
- Must have very good hand, foot and eye coordination to safely operate their equipment
- Compliance with All Paving Inc Policies including but not limited to:
- Equipment repair / maintenance procedures and Operator Safety Standards
- Safety, Safety, Safety!
- “Home Safe Tonight” and related policies
Requires extensive and heavy physical activity and dexterity. Must be able to operate for long periods of time and to get into awkward positions when cleaning and providing maintenance to the equipment.
Requires the ability to stand, walk, reach, kneel, climb or balance. Must be able to carry or handle materials sometimes up to 75 pounds. Requires specific types of vision: close, color, peripheral.
Responsible for safety of self and fellow workers.
Work conditions vary from site to site and are affected by the weather.Rough grading and undeveloped job sites present a threat to safety where carelessness or poor judgment could result in serious of fatal injury to self or others. Works adjacent to live traffic on most days.
A must, overnight stays may be required on occasion.
Night and Weekend work shifts are common throughout the normal milling and paving season.