This non-exempt position operates one or more types of heavy construction equipment such as: backhoes, pavers, dozers, scrapers, pans and graders to perform various tasks (e.g. paving, excavating, laying pipe, moving and grading dirt, etc.). Responsible for safe operation of machines, maintenance, and upkeep of equipment.
- Discusses plans for the day’s work with field manager, reviews blueprints if necessary and determines best method of getting assigned work done safely, accurately, and on time.
- Adjusts hand levers and depresses pedals to operate equipment and control attachments such as, blades, buckets, scrapers, and swing booms.
- Performs equipment maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing and oiling machines.
- Utilizes actual years of experience in operating equipment in developing a feel for various levers and attachments and in developing skills such as fine grading and cutting slopes.
- Operates equipment with priority of making the job safe for all persons working around the equipment. Ensures that other workers stay clear of machine while working in tight places and ensures that there is teamwork between self and other operators working at the project site.
- Make judgments regarding the most efficient operations of equipment and attachments.
- Compliance with All Paving, Inc. Policies including but not limited to.
- Equipment repair / maintenance procedures and Operator Safety Standards
- Safety, Safety, Safety!
- “Home Safe Tonight” and related policies
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience & Education/Certification:
- Minimum of 2 years of equipment operating experience required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) a plus.
- Related work experience required.
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Must possess very good hand, foot and eye coordination to safely operate their equipment.
- Must be able to operate for extended periods of time and to get into awkward positions when cleaning and providing maintenance to the equipment.
- Requires extensive and heavy physical activity and dexterity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Must possess excellent communication (written/verbal) and time management skills.
- Requires specific types of vision: close, color, peripheral.